Tuesday, November 17, 2009

religious scripture

all the scriptures say to treat the world like a forest and remain detached at heart.

is it interesting that when i hear said scriptures, spoken in a language i don't fluently understand, it has always made me cry? its as if the part of me that evokes tears can translate, analyze and feel some sort of way about words that my mind is not familiar with.

then i read the translation and it makes sense why i'm crying - because I have never been able to be detached; because I never want to be! Which is the constant battle - how can I follow a line in my religious text that I just cannot grasp or understand? I am obviously missing something, but even when its explained to me by someone more in touch with their religious roots, it makes no sense. I want to feel and be attached, regardless of any pain it may or may not cause. Because oh! when it doesn't cause pain...oh! it is pure pure, amazing awesome joy. So the pain, is worth it for the joy. But then, why do these learned pious teachers state over and over again to remain detached? I don't understand...and I'm scared to understand..which is why I think I cry - because I never want to be detached. What's life without attachments? Calmer? possibly. Lonelier? I think, most definitely.

Obviously, I am not close enough yet to religious enlightenment to understand this concept. Thus, I will keep on hurting and loving and repeating the cycle over and over till it eventually comes to an organic end and something beautiful blooms.

2 comments:

Lissa said...

I don't know. That reminds me of a passage in my religious scriptures to "Be IN the world, but not OF it." You can see the forrest and you can be in the forrest, but you are a special tree and you are not like everyone else. You have your faith that will see you through. So while you should mingle with all the other trees in the forrest, keep in mind that that is only a temporary place and there is much better coming. If you take that interpretation then you can see the joy in that. Don't get too attached to the material things because they will come and go. The other trees may do that. Stay detached because one day you will be pulled, roots and all, to be planted somewhere spectacular, for all the world to see. So attach yourself with the other trees and the knowledge of being in the forrest, but just know that there is better coming.

That's how I see it.

Silver Surfer said...

I think this forest passage reminds people to stand on their own and be iconoclasts. Detach yourself from conformity. Good post!