Monday, October 11, 2010

Thank God

I'd like to start off with a quick note: The below blog will make me sounds like a judgmental extremist type of girl. I honestly don't want to sound that way - and I understand everyone thinks differently...but this is how i feel today - so yes.

I was born on the west coast.

If I had stayed there, how would my life be like?

West Coast Sikhs are almost always much less into Sikhi than East Coast Sikhs.

They don't know the history or the reasonings behind our religion, our culture. They aren't taught. They are instead taught to conform. Conform to Western values and Western identity. Adapt so you can find a job and be accepted.

My middle name means Lioness. A Sikh man's middle name means Lion. One of the reasons for this is because we are supposed to be strong, to face adversity and to stand out.

A Sikh man living in the United States stands out because of his physical identity. This is why the majority of my Sikh male friends are strong and confident, attractive souls. They have to be. When you are different, in the crowd of shorn and shaggy hair, you have to stand out with your crown - upright and proud.

It makes me so sad when people decide, they do not care enough, or are not brave enough, to keep the identity. The identity that people have died to preserve.

To this, I blame their surroundings. California, with its adapting fearful souls, its sheep. The ones who don't teach the lessons of Sikhi to their children, who don't understand the beauty and the gift we are given by our Gurus.

It makes me so sad. And yet, what can we do? If you don't know why you should care about something, then you won't care. If you surround yourself by people who don't have similar values then eventually you will adapt.

I have white friends, asian friends, black friends, Hindu friends - and there have been times when even they have been shocked that someone Sikh has decide to cut their hair. This! Is because to them Sikh = long haired or bearded/turbaned man/woman. And this! is because to them this is the norm - because even they have been taught - and for this I am glad.

However, in the West coast - instead when a Sikh man cuts his hair - he gets Facebook comments from his all non-Sikh community that say things like 'you look good!' 'nice job!' To which I want to SCREAM. and say NO YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT. however, that won't be understood...because to them, it doesn't matter. To them it was a burden and to them it is now lifted to reveal an awful and depressing buzz cut, a naked chin - remnants of nothing.

So to this - all I can say is - I am grateful that those who do understand and care about the religion still keep the faith going.

The others - I feel sad for because you don't even know what you're missing and how wonderful it is to be Gursikh.

No comments: