Sunday, December 21, 2008

pakistan and india

Listening to their discussions about impending wars between Pakistan and India, I feel slightly ignorant.  I know enough to get by, but to speak so assuredly about the possible future of both countries is not something I can do. I'm American, of Indian descent.  My depth of historic knowledge covering the Revolutionary and Civil War here in the states.  Perhaps this will be an issue in the long run.  

'She's Indian-Punjabi' - he says as he nods over to me.
I look up at them perplexed, as they gape and break into fits of laughter.
"She's Indian Punjabi and you're Pakistani Punjabi - hahahaha"

I don't get it.

He thinks we're different because he's from Pakistan and I'm from India.  

I think we're different because I'm from Manhattan and he's from Connecticut.

to-may-to - to-mah-to.

No comments: