Saturday, January 31, 2009

listen to your body

It's amazing what your body can tell you if you just sit still and listen.

The past 2 weeks or so I've really been trying to attune myself to my body and what it's silently telling me.  If it craves eggs, I whip up an omelet - if it wants a kiwi, I cut up a kiwi.  

I've noticed you can train your body to crave certain things, but at some point it's still going to ache for things your head says 'no' to, at this point - I think it's ok to give in a little.

The other day, I was craving belgian pancakes with dark belgian chocolate and strawberries on top.  I indulged, with no remorse.  Afterwards, I was full all day - but because it had been so many hours, I opted to get lunch - a soup, 1/2 a sandwich, and a carrot cupcake (stupid stupid whim) - I wasn't even craving any of this!  After the soup and sandwich, I was stuffed, but I forced down the cupcake anyways b/c I was upset and bored.  "Silly girl!" - my body screamed via stomach aches the rest of the day.  

Later that day, I had an intense want to swim.  In the middle of winter, with ice and snow covering the ground, I walked home from the pool with wet hair feeling  invigorated.

This post is going all over the place - but basically, it's important to listen to your body.

It's interesting, we often push our bodies to the point of no return.  We get exhausted, we starve ourselves, we binge on the shittiest food, and then finally our body collapses on us.  We get sick, we feel lethargic and all we can do is just fall into our beds and sleep a sound utter sleep, and wake up to more sleepiness.

Proper rest, healthy foods, and a happy mind are key to a healthy body.  - Believe me, I know how hard it is to follow this concept, easy as it may sound, but just think of how much happier we would all be if we did!


No comments: