Monday, May 11, 2009

books and authors

Whenever I read a book these days, I always google the author's bio and more and more the author is closer to my age...and that somehow makes me motivated to get moving on my book.  I also notice that, while most people can sit and enjoy a book for what it is...I pick it to pieces..analyzing and basically critiquing it in my head..and ultimately, my inflated ego decides that I can't believe I'm reading this when I could be writing my own novel.

But then when I sit down to go for it, the block is thick and nothing pours out.  Fiction is HARD to right.  I have stories in my head and an imagination that is borderline schizophrenic..but writing fiction is just hard!

Even writing a memoir is hard...I can't seem to do it - all the words sound great in my head..but on paper it's like atrocious word vomit, desperately seeking to be deleted.


Will try again.  Hemingway had a typewriter, which I'm sure expelled mountains of prose that were quickly deserted onto the floor in forms of crumpled papers thought unnecessary.  Yet, somehow his thoughts finally came through in perfect form.  I'm sure mine will too.



Picture of Hemingway's actual desk and actual typewriter above.  
 

1 comment:

Lissa said...

The hardest part is starting. That blinking cursor is just so intimidating. Just write - write the words of the song you are listening to in your headphones and try to keep up (no cheating). When you have finished a song your fingers are yearning for more typing and by this time you are thinking SOMETHING. Keep writing - expand on your thoughts. Think of a funny story and relive it through words. If you've still got nothing try typing the next song's words. Maybe describe that past 24 hours of your life.

At that point you will, at least, no longer have a blank page.