Wednesday, May 6, 2009

my heart's desire

today my heart craved something it rarely ever does.

Ice Cream.

Not frozen yogurt, or a powdery non-fat concoction whipped into an airy frothy cream-like consistency, no.  Ice Cream.  Real, rich, dairy-filled, refined sugar loaded ice cream with chocolate chips, cookie dough, and cocoa intertwined.

Today my heart craved Ben & Jerry's, the icon of all that is gluttonous, creamy, decadent, and overloaded with various sugar-filled flavor concoctions.

And today I allowed it.  I averted my eyes as I passed 2 frozen yogurt stores, darted past the vegan ice cream parlor, and refused to acknowledge the asian-inspired, much lower in calorie sundae shop, as I walked to my destination.  Brightly lit, colorful, calorie-laden Ben & Jerrys.

"1 small cup with 2 big scoops please - Oatmeal Cookie Chunk + Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough."

After a while of imitations, the heart just needs the real thing.