Saturday, May 2, 2009

pulses and heartbeats

i've always liked hearing a man's heartbeat.

from the very first to the current, i've always had a thing for lying with my ear near their heart and hearing the steady 'da-dum da-dum da-dum'

"i can hear your heartbeat", I would say out loud, as if I thought this was a Danielle Steel novel and my quirky fascination with hearing heartbeats was supposed to evoke something more romantic than an "mmm...k" from the person in question.

On Wednesday I used your arm as my pillow, my ear pressing against your forearm, and I could hear your pulse - 'da-dum da-dum DA-da-dum' - one quickened unsteady pulse - I was fascinated.

I pulled my wrist close to my other ear and heard my own pulse.  It was off-beat as well.

I lay there as you slept, listening to our uneven pulses beat together in perfect harmony, and for a moment I couldn't tell whose was whose and for that moment I couldn't tell what was really so different between us.  For that moment, I was oblivious.  Obliviously smitten, my heart refusing my brain to speak out and make me see logic.  

da-dum da-dum da-da-dum - logic is overrated.

1 comment:

liz Glines said...

i really like this.